Keep Your Wig Game On Fire
Today you’re sleek and sophisticated with your stylish black, blunt cut bob. Tomorrow you’ll be rocking beachy blonde waves. The next day you could be channelling your inner Rihanna with your long, red locks.
Whatever wigs you’ve got, the right care and accessories will make sure that they’re always looking on fleek. From wig caps and scrunchies to how to maintain your wig, we’ve got everything you need to make sure you shine like you were born to. Yas gurl!
Keep it looking gorgeous
If you’ve invested in a human hair wig or you have a synthetic one, looking after it is a must. This will keep those locks looking luscious for longer.
If you have a human hair wig, this is what you should be doing:
1. Use a silicone serum or spray to keep it silky, shiny and tangle-free. Remember that a little goes a long way, so only use a pea-sized amount. If you’re using a spray, hold the bottle 20cm away from the hair and spray lightly.
Remember: Too much serum can build up on the hair. The more you apply, the more you’ll need to wash it.
2. Brush your wig twice a day. The afro comb is perfect for this. Always start at the tips of the hair and hold the wig in the middle. Gently and slowly brush out the tangles at the ends, working your way up to the top.
3. Wash your hair at least once a week. Brush out all the tangles beforehand.
4. Air dry the wig. Gently pat the hair with a dry towel and leave it to stand. If you use a blow dryer, always use medium heat.
5. Spray leave-in conditioner and brush gently.
6. Deep condition the hair regularly to keep it looking amazing. If you use heat often to style it, deep condition at least once a month. If the hair has been coloured deep condition twice a month.
7. Store your wig on a wig stand when you’re not using it.
1. Don’t brush wigs with a tight curl. Use your fingers to gently remove tangles.
2. Brush only when wet and be sure to use a Kinky Afro comb.
3. Follow the washing instructions on the pack. For curly wigs, take care not to scrunch the hair in the water.
4. Air dry your wig on a mannequin or wig stand.
5. Only use a water-based spray-on moisturiser to bring out the shine.
Now that you know how to brush, wash and care for your wigs, it’s time for the fun part – accessorising. Tie it up in a ponytail, braid it or curl it into a low bun. There are so many ways to wear your wig and take your style up a level.
You can also use headbands which are super trendy at the moment. Choose florals, patterns or bold colours and slay that style.
Don’t forget, if you want your wig to feel comfortable all day long, then you need to get yourself a wig cap. Just visit Kinkyhair.co.za and get the accessories you need to keep your wig looking fiyah. Then share your pics with us by tagging us. Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. We can’t wait to see how you bring the heat.